I've been back in Rexburg for almost a week now and it's been exhausting. I'd explain, but it's a ton of boring details that no one would care to hear about haha. But something's been on my mind...
Tuesday during Devotional, one of my fellow usher volunteers got a tad bit irritated with Pres. Clark's comment, "...then it's marriage time!" He told me that he never wanted to get married. I didn't know what to say. I mean, my whole education here at BYU-I is about marriage and family. I'm all for everyone getting married and it's a huge part of Heavenly Father's plan for us. I asked him why he felt that way, to be as specific as he could. Honestly, I think he's just severely discouraged. I wish I had thought of a way to help him see that he doesn't need to be. I know that oftentimes I, myself, am very discouraged about getting married. It's something I want to happen in my life and it always seems like it's happening to everyone but me. He made the comment that all of his friends from his mission were married and I can't help but think right now that if he continues to compare his milestones with those of others, he'll always be discouraged. It's hard not to do that, but it's something that we need to stop doing. I'm very well aware of the reasons the Lord hasn't put my wedding in my super near future... I need to work on some things first. I need to learn to love myself before I can be fully committed to loving a spouse. There are things I need to repent of before I can progress in life. I wish that I would have told him to just be the best person he can be and live a faithful life because as long as he is trying his best to follow the Lord's wishes, he'll be blessed... and more than likely the blessing could end up as marriage. It really saddens me when people think they can't or won't get married. Despite the fact that it hasn't happened to me yet, I still have hope that it will. Obviously I'm more impatient at times, but that's something else I need to work on. I'll be struggling with patience my entire life most likely. It's just something that doesn't come easy for me. But one day, no matter who it is or what has happened in their lives, marriage will come... it could be in this life or the next. Just have a little faith!
No comments:
Post a Comment