In 6th grade I was obsessed with Harry Potter... beyond obsessed actually. My mom bought me books 1-4 from the UK, that is how obsessed I was. At that time I had our set and had no particular reason to read the UK books, as the were basically the same (minus the fact that book one is Philosopher's Stone instead of Sorcerer's Stone.) But a few years later I went through a phase where I felt the need to "cleanse" my life of Harry Potter. I got rid of everything except the UK set because it was 1) in mint condition, never read and 2) was something no one else I knew owned.
When the 7th book came out I had snapped out of my "cleansing" phase and got it at the midnight release. Unfortunately it had been too long since I read the books and forgot important details, I had considered re-reading the series before starting the 7th but I never got around to borrowing them.
Now that HP 7.2 is out in theaters, I have been dying to read the books again. So last night I decided to pull my UK set off the shelf and read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I finished it about 25 minutes ago.
I wanted to see how different the little phrases and whatnot were from ours... and quickly found out that there were things that I didn't even know what they meant. Too bad I don't have a US set near me to compare haha.
Anyways, my UK set has now gone down in value (not that I ever really bothered with that kind of stuff) and I am about to begin the second book. My only problem is that I own 1-4 and 7... so I am currently on the hunt for a UK Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. And of course it would be nice to have a UK Deathly Hallows seeing as I'd have the whole set from the UK instead of the US.
What makes me sad is the fact that I had sooo many HP collectibles that I just willingly gave up that I would die to have now. Such is life, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment